5 Signs Your Domestic Boiler is Potentially Dangerous
If your domestic boiler has been playing up it doesn’t always mean it’s serious but with carbon monoxide able to kill in 3 minutes it’s better to be safe than sorry. So what are the clues that a boiler is unsafe and are they easy to spot? Read on for 5 signs that your domestic boiler is potentially dangerous…
Yellow Pilot Light
A healthy boiler pilot light is generally vivid blue but should you see a yellow flame call an emergency engineer. A yellow flame means the gas-to-air mixture is incorrect and too much air is getting into the system. It’s also linked to deadly CO and if you start to feel unwell, seek medical assistance right away.
Domestic Boiler Condensation
Although the presence of carbon monoxide doesn’t actually cause condensation, misty windows could suggest your domestic boiler isn’t being vented properly. If boiler gases aren’t leaving your home, it means they are being dispersed indoors. This, therefore, includes the potential for releasing lethal noxious gas.
Visible Soot Marks
Black marks around your domestic boiler are a good reason to turn it off. Suggesting a leak from the flue, it means fumes can’t be transported properly and are probably now seeping inside. It’s not worth the risk so get it looked at immediately by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. And whilst you’re at it why not discuss having a carbon monoxide alarm installed?
You’re Getting Headaches
Before CO poisoning gets really serious it can cause headaches and nausea. Which is why it’s so crucial to seek help if you suspect the cause is your boiler. There’s no point in fretting, simply call your engineer to come out and take a look. And if it’s the boiler this can easily be removed and replaced with a safe new model.
A Smell of Fumes
Carbon monoxide (CO) is colourless and it’s also odourless but if your boiler isn’t burning properly you’ll find it emitting a faint smell. If you’re suspicious and think that you can smell gas, switch your boiler off right away. Then quickly check for other warning signs before seeking a second opinion.
Suspect Carbon monoxide (CO)?
If you’re experiencing any of these tell-tale signs and are concerned about carbon monoxide poisoning, IMMEDIATELY SWITCH OFF YOUR DOMESTIC BOILER AND SEEK HELP FROM A HEATING EXPERT. To also discuss having a detector fitted please get in touch with our safety team. Because at the end of the day it’s better to take action and avoid any unpleasant consequences.